Friday, May 23, 2014

O Little Town of Bethlehem


Today we stepped out of the comfort of Jerusalem the city that we have come to love and wandered into the wilderness.  We started the morning by traveling up the Mount of Olives. From the top of the mountain, we could see, to the west, the city of Jerusalem nestled and protected in the valleys surround by mountains. To the east we could see the wilderness beginning, sharply and distinctly changed on the other side of the mountain as the rock composition changed. As we sat on the top overlooking the city, we discussed Psalm 48, and how the author of the psalm really beautifully used the geography of the city of Jerusalem and the surrounding cities to show God’s greatness. This psalm highlighted again the connection between God, the city, and this psalm highlighted again the connection between God, the city, and His people.  As we descended down the mountain we were reminded of the Jesus’ great dissent into the city of Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. Along the way we stopped at the Dominus Flevit Church, a small church on the western slope of the Mount of Olives, that is put there in remembrance of Jesus weeping as He looked upon the city of Jerusalem. It was interesting to be here and to gaze upon the city for myself, and to think of what Jesus had done in the city.

            We then went down to the Garden of Gethsemane and the Church of Nations. The garden was beautiful, the olive trees twisted around the garden intermingling with beautiful flowers.  As I walked around the garden all that I could of was Mathew 26:39. “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” This last sentence went through my mind over and over. These words of Jesus resonated through me in this place where they were spoken. In this moment I felt my worries about my future, my health, the stress of school be lifted and a calm came over me. I walked the path around the garden with these words in my mind, a peace in my heart, and a great burden lifted off me.

            We then got in our bus and left the city for the first time since we got there and headed south into the wilderness to Herod the Great’s tomb at Hreodium. Herodium is a mountain built for Herod to the south in the wilderness, large enough that form the top, you could see both Bethlehem and Jerusalem. Here at Herodium we could also the extravagance of Herod. The ruins of this palace and grounds could still be seen as we walked around this mountain that contained the tomb of Herod. From the top of the mountain, you could see the clear transition from wilderness and the habitable land. It was here that we discussed Psalms 23. Looking out over the wilderness where the shepherds would take their flock, we could see the sparse land, with little grass and water for the flock. We could see that God provides completely for His people; He will provide for the shepherds in the wilderness and his people elsewhere.

            From there, we traveled to Bethlehem, which meant that we needed to travel through Palestine.  I was an interesting experience, really the only thing that was noticeable was a sign on the boarder saying that it was prohibited for Israelis to enter into Palestine territory. I do not know enough about the politics and situations of these lands, so I don’t think that I can really make any comments besides these pure observations that I saw.
            The whole town of Bethlehem was preparing for the Pope’s arrival to the Holy Lands; buildings were being restored and cleaned and a stage was being set up in the square. We went to the Church of the Nativity the site believed to be where Jesus was born. I had many conflicting emotions in this place, that I haven’t fully worked through.  On the one hand, I wanted to be reverent, reflecting and prayerful as I entered into this holy place that is important to my religion. One the other hand, it all felt so forced, mechanical, cheap. A line was set up running along the side of the church. After waiting for thirty minutes through the icon filled rooms, we reached the room under the altar that was the site of Jesus’ birth. We were allowed to go up to the site, two by two, and allowed to look at it for about three seconds before we were rushed away. I didn’t know how to process it. I wanted to have a mindset devoted to God, in prayerful reflection, but the whole time I felt as though  I was waiting in line for the next tourist attraction, and those in charge were just interested in moving as many people through the area. I felt as though my actions and thought in the Church of the Nativity did not accurately reflect the holiness of the place, but more accurately reflected a tourist attraction, just one more thing to check off a list of accomplishments.  As I travel through this land, I have to decide if I want to be a tourist or a pilgrim. Everything in our society is saying be the tourist, check off the things to do and see, get to see everything. But I hope and pray that I can have the attitude of a pilgrim for the rest of this journey; the attitude of one coming to the place for a purpose, to learn and to grow from the experience. This is what I hope for myself and for all that come to this land especially.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your invitation to be a pilgrim. I wonder if that is a way to live life.

    ReplyDelete