Tuesday, May 20, 2014


How would I describe my second full day here in Jerusalem, overwhelming. It was a long day we woke up at 5:50 in order eat a hearty breakfast and leave JUC just before seven. We left as the morning was still cool, and headed toward the old city. We entered the city near the dung gate, near the temple mount.  The plan for the morning was to enter the temple mount area and see the Dome of the Rock and the other structures on top of the mount. In order for us to enter the area we had to pass through a security checkpoint run by the Israeli government. Right above the metal detector, was a sign warning Jews from a head Rabbi that it was forbidden to enter the temple mount area because it was too holy of a site. It was with this in mind that I handed my bag to the guard, walked through the metal detector, and walked up the walkway, lined with riot shields, which overlooked the Western Wall. The juxtaposition between the Holy and human violence and aggression, made me think of how we as fallen people really need God in our live, we are so broken. This brokenness of man contrasted with the awesomeness of God was again so vivid in my mind as I stood on the Temple mount, looked around at the beautiful landscaping, architecture, and the Dome of the Rock, the believed site of the Holy of Holies. And as I surveyed this amazing things on the 35 acre grounds I could not go a minute without seeing a Muslim guard armed with a machine gun.  Even with these feeling I was able to sense the God’s presence as I walked around; I felt as though I could sense the thousands of years of reverence in this pace. This was once the Temple of the Lord, where His name dwelled. Even though there is now a mosque on this spot, I could still feel this presence.

            We headed down the temple mount, crossing through a other security checkpoint, and proceeded to the Western Wall, formally known as the Wailing Wall. You could hear these orthodox Jews wailing from far away. The sadness of these Jews was so evident, it was hard to watch, but at the same time it was hard to look away. It is so amazing to see the affect a place has to a whole group.

            We walked around the base of the Temple Mount and observed how incredible and huge and what an architectural feat it was. We went to the south entrance of the Temple, the common entrance in ancient times and sat on the excavated steps. This was amazing, I could really picture the historical figures, Jesus and the apostles, walking these steps and entering the gate just to our right.

            We then followed the Via Dolorosa, the supposed path Christ took while carrying the cross, to St. Ann’s Church. This church is dedicated to the health of Jesus’ grandmother, Ann. The acoustics in this church are amazing, said to be the best in the city, with seven second echoes. As we approached the church, a few tourist, obviously in a choir somewhere, where singing. The sound of their hymn and praise just came into earshot as the call to prayer ended on the sound system. I immediately had shivers run down spine. The Pool of Bethesda, a pool of healing where Jesus healed a blind man was there on the grounds. It was so unbelievable to discuss this story as we walked around the bottom of the pool ruins.

            After a short break from the sun, we returned into the field and walked from JUC on the Western Hill to the City of David on the Eastern Hill. “I lift my eyes up to the mountains, where does my help come from? It comes from the Lord the maker of heaven and earth” Psalm 121:1-2. These words were written there. I lifted my eyes up to those very mountains. And still, thousands of years later God is still providing with his help. This verse became so real to me, as I stood in the City of David, and turned my gaze up to the mountains. This verse had already been on my mind, after my girlfriend had told me to read it as I was struggling with my decision to leave the crew team this past season; it had been comforting to her in times of injury and frustration. During the semester I had read over this psalm a few times and had found the words beautiful and comforting, but it was not until the moment that I was actually there, that the full beauty hit me. As you stand in the city and look up you see the mountains to the West and to the East surrounding you, wrapped so close, and as you look in front of you see the Temple Mount rise above you. In this moment you feel the security of the mountains that God has put there for you.  The Temple Mount rising above you makes it so clear that God is there, God will protect you, you can find your strength in Him. Looking up to the Temple Mount high above me, allowed me to feel God’s strength and presence.

            In the City of David we saw ruins of what was thought to be the palace of David. We also walked down through the ancient water system and through the tunnel of Hezekiah where water still rushes through. This tunnel ended near the nearly excavated pool of Silom, another pool of healing that was extravagant back in Jesus’ day.  I could really see the beauty and awesomeness in the architecture of ancient Jerusalem today as we saw the original foundations of the Temple and the Pool of Silom. After we walked through the water Dr. Wright told us of the Jewish tradition of a Mitzvah, a cleansing ritual bath in living water. This water was living water, it was coming from a spring, and we walked for a fifth of a mile in it. As we walked out of the tunnel, a Jewish man was taking a Mitzvah in this water. To see the connection of historical event, Hezekiah’s tunnel, and historical traditions, the Mitzvah, and this continuation of the these traditions today, was just so amazing. This connection between past and present can really be seen all over the city, and it is just amazing to see it at every turn, and it keeps astounding me. I will need more time to think about what it means and how to process it.

                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment