Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Is God Here or There


What really stood out to me most about today, was something one of the girls, Sarah, said as our group was sitting around on the shore of the Sea of Galilee tonight debriefing about the program so far. It was one of the last comments of the night but it really hit me. She said something along the lines of, “I’m glad that God isn’t here anymore than he is a home. He isn’t present here more, we don’t need to come here in order to find Him. God is present everywhere.” I think that this was a good reminder that God is also back home, I can grow and learn about him just as much there as I can here. While I have learned a lot this trip, both in my faith and understanding of God, when I go home it the learning doesn’t have to end. I think that recently I have just been closed off to what God was doing in my life, and not wanting to see His presence. Coming to Israel, and being in the program I am in, I had a mindset to be very focused on what I was studying, how it applied to my life and understanding of the Bible, and I came here with a great desire to be open to what God was saying to me.  While it may have taken this program to really push to being more open to what God was saying, God was there with me back in Wheaton, back in Santa Barbara. This offhand comment at the end of our long debrief was such a good reminder of the constant presence of God and His constant love for us; He will not abandon us, he will love us to the ends of the earth.

            We started out the morning leaving our hostel in Nazareth, and heading to Sepphoris. Here we saw many ancient mosaics still intact. The most striking one however, was the one found in the ancient synagogue. This mosaic depicted scenes from the Pentateuch and symbols of the synagogue, but also the zodiac calendar. We discussed what it meant to be Jewish in this time, but more importantly, how does one deal with and reconcile their faith and the culture they are in.  Christianity is countercultural, both now and in antiquity. How can we love our enemies and care for the poor in a culture that is so materialistic and all about me. It was good to think about this issue here, as this example, albeit not one we want to emulate, of the combination of religion and culture sat in front of us. We saw another such mosaic at Bet Alpha, which we visited later in the afternoon. Here again there were images of the temple, Biblical stories, and a zodiac calendar.

            We then headed back to Nazareth and went to up one of the hills that overlooked the Jezreel Valley. We able to look out upon the fertile valley below us and see the rocky hills of Nazareth  It was easy to understand why Nathaniel would say, “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” John 1:46. After we left this mountain top and went to Bet Shean. The prevalence of the Roman Empire in the area was so evident here.

            We drove north, further into Galilee, until we reached our hostel that was right on the north shore of the Sea of Galilee. We all immediately ran to the water and jumped in. The water was cool and refreshing after a long day in the sun. As we ventured out farther in to the water, and as our feet sunk into the mud on the bottom of the lake, one of the girls, not so sarcastically said, “I can see why Jesus walked on top of the water.” After this time we had to relax, we got together as a group and for the first time had the chance to debrief with one another. It was good to hear how everyone was doing and thoughts that we were wrestling with. I was good to get together and work through our thoughts and questions, that many of us had had, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment